Saturday, July 22, 2006

Whoops...I ended up being too late to for the Coldsnap booster draft Release Event at Superstars. So instead I went to watch Superman Returns with everybody at the Tech Museum.

I guess I was expecting a little too much from the movie. I was under the impression that it was a pretty good movie, as far as comic book movies go. So I kinda went into the movie expecting deep, thoughtful issues to be brought up by the movie. But they weren't.

I was expecting maybe a complex villain. But Lex Luthor is made out to be just a bad villain through and through -- no complexity like Magneto. LL just gives a small speech at the beginning where he talks about how Superman is like a god who refuses to share his power. LL can't stand that. I wish they had expanded on this theme to make LL possibly a more sympathetic person (albeit someone who does deplorable acts).

The whole Christ allegory was reduced to be primarily one of visuals (like the posture after he "dies"). I wish there was a little more of that in there too.

I guess I was a little spoiled by the whole Civil War crisis going on in Marveldom. At least there you have great issues being brought up by heroes on both sides. Issues on privacy, public safety, etc., all of which have great resonance in today's world. I think that's where comic books excel...where they can provide three dimensional commentary on both sides of the conflict. As opposed to a one-dimensional bad guy who's evil "just because"

No comments: