So I went to see The Devil Wears Prada last night with Michael, Grace, and Melinda (Sandy bailed). It's definitely all about Meryl Streep. I haven't read the book, but the reviews I've read make it seem that Streep adds a layer of depth and complexity to the character that wasn't present in the book. No, I don't remember any of the outfits (apparently created to be timeless Donna Karen-like). So I'm not that girly (yay!)
I'm not sure if it would have been possible to add a better portrayal of Andy's relationship with friends/family. The main analogy for Andy to see that she was on the path to becoming Miranda was through Emily. And Emily was not made out to be that sympathetic of a character in the beginning. I would have enjoyed a more gradual decline of Andy's relationship with her family (spread around, not just her problems with her boyfriend). On the other hand, this would have meant less emphasis on Miranda, who undoubtedly is the major draw of the movie, for me.
After the movie I turned around and saw that the audience was overwhelmingly female.
And no, I haven't forgotten about the prerelease review. I'll get to it today. I hope.
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment