Bleah. I've been so busy typing on my geocities account that I haven't been getting around to this blog. So here's more detail on the play (prerelease info to come later).
So obviously, a lot of things could have been done better in our skit. I guess we can blame it on time constraints and immaturity. Anyways, chronologically, some notable moments:
When getting the third actor from the audience, they didn't have to deal with Robin laughing hysterically. Laughing makes it hard to do the "FLOSS ME!"
Romeo and Juliet prologue: They did this with gestures as per the script. We did it with props, which I think was probably equally as funny (although probably severly mortifying for Robin).
"Good morrow, coz", "General Doom", "He comes before me", etc...: I got a kick out of all these lines. Adding the narrator/footnoter was a great idea, but we probably should have been a little more selective in which footnotes to expound upon.
The balcony scene: They used a balcony! Although it was a noisy mechanical one that went up and down played for laughs.
"but love": Stephen is genius. They slapped their butts whenever this line came up too.
Romeo and Juliet kiss at the end: They play this to great comedic effect. He slowly tries to kiss her, fails, steels himself up, slowly tries to kiss her again... This kind of thing was not really possible for us since Juliet was played by an actual girl.
"Nietzschean Jejune totality etc...": They actually state that this is covering a costume change.
Titus Androgynous: Stephen is absolutely hilarious with the wig and with the sucking of the ladyfingers.
Othello: Kudos on their rap scene. Good music and lighting -- we couldn't even come close.
Comedies: We fell flat on this without good choreography. It's still hard to follow due to some unfamiliarity with all the different comedies.
Macbeth: Once again, Stephen is genius with the scottish accents.
Troilus and Cressida: Whoa. They actually skipped the part about Godzilla and Elvis Presley. But they do insert a line thinking it's about Japanese cars.
Histories: Once again, nice choreography throughout the whole football game.
Before intermission: I forgot to put in something to look like we were waiting for the other two to get back. And I will always remember the failure to respond to JC's comment. Sorry Emery!
Hamlet: Throughout Hamlet, they add a lot of things that eventually end up paying off big in the subsequent run-throughs.
General Hospital: Felicity et al was replaced by Chris et al a la American Idol.
Play within a play: I forgot how we pulled this off, but I was very amused by their puppet show.
Obviously they were much more professional. But I'm surprised to find that our version still has its charms. Sorry Stephen for throwing the ghost/beach ball at you. I very much liked how they added little bits and pieces all throughout Hamlet that they were able to reuse during the second and fourth (backwards) run. The fourth run really was virtually a backwards version of the second one.
There was a girl on the right side of the audience (from my point of view) who had great fun in having the future Ophelia-actor come to her. And there was a somewhat vocal group on the left side of the audience near the front who provided some laughs as well. Oh, I almost forgot. Somebody who looks like Jon and who wears the same kind of hat was sitting with that group! Then he took of the hat to reveal blonde hair. But I still couldn't shake the feeling that maybe it was Jon with his hair dyed! It was very surreal...
All in all, most definitely a play I would not mind watching any time in the future to see how other troupes handle it.
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment