Sunday, August 06, 2006

So after the PTQ fiasco, I saw My Super Ex-Girlfriend. I was hoping for a film that could maybe provide a little bit of a life lesson (after all, even Sky High has a life lesson). But the film disappointed me in that regard. It was basically pure farce from beginning to end. If that's all you wanted, then it was a fine picture to satisfy your mindless funny bone. But that was it. And as usual, I couldn't place where the girlfriend was from until I went back and looked at it on imdb. She's from Friends!

This weekend I saw Little Miss Sunshine. As far as non-documentary indie films go, this is a great one to watch. The only problem for me was that the humor was actually a little bit predictable. I can't tell if it's because the situations were easily read or if it's just because my mind just ran in that direction, but there were no out of the blue moments to make me laugh out loud. Once they introduced the entire dysfunctional family then you already knew how they would act for the rest of the movie.

The movie is enjoyable, and I can see how people might really like that kind of humor. I guess to me most of it was a little cliché. The genius of the writers was in taking a bunch of disparate items and putting them all together in a pretty cohesive mesh.

No comments: