For reference, Eric's goodbye lunch was Thursday. Audrey's karaoke party was Friday night. Saturday was Pro Tour Trials for Phoenix. (this is all the weekend of Aug. 12th)
After the miserable 0-4 start at PTQ Kobe, it would be an understatement to say that I was going in with low expectations. Here's what happened to me in this tournament (34 people, 6 rounds).
First, my deck: Bramble Elemental, Cytospawn Shambler, Drooling Groodion, Elves of Deep Shadow, Golgari Brownscale, Greater Mossdog, Mourning Thrull, Rakdos Guildmage, Sandstorm Eidolon, Silhana Ledgewalker, Simic Basilisk, Streetbreaker Wurm, Trophy Hunter, Ulasht, the Hate Seed, Viashino Fangtail, Vinelasher Kudzu, Breath of Fury, Clinging Darkness, Galvanic Arc, Last Gasp, Nettling Curse, Pyromatics, Savage Twister, Wrecking Ball, Gruul Signet, Rakdos Carnarium, Selesnya Sanctuary, 4 Swamps, 4 Mountains, 5 Forests. What did I miss out on? I maybe should have splashed blue, with Peel from Reality, Consult the Necrosages, and Helium Squirter at the very least.
Round 1: Jason Yang
Game 1 I mess up on the rules for Bramble Elemental, call the judge, and we both end up getting a warning...=p Game 2 I couldn't stabilize the board. Game 3 went into overtime and I just managed to push enough damage through on my last turn. 1-0/2-1, now tied for 1st with 17 players.
Round 2: Stephen Hines
Game 1 he's basically manascrewed. Game 2 there's a huge creature stall, but I get a whole bunch of bombs out on the board (including Ulasht with 8 counters when he's at 13 life) and he just concedes. 2-0/4-1, now tied for 1st with 9 people.
At this point I'm amazed. Maybe I'm not so horrible as I thought...=p
Round 3: Iain Bartolomei
I lose both games. Almost managed to squeak out the second game but I get denied. 2-1/4-3, 5 people tied for first, I'm tied for 6th with 11 other people.
Round 4: Matthew Nass
Game 1 I get the most insane opening hand. Vinelasher Kudzu with bouncelands in hand and his life total basically goes 20, 15, 6, dead. Game 2 I once again don't get damaged at all. I just control the board with removal. 3-1/6-3, 3 people tied for first, I'm tied for 4th with 7 other people.
At this point, the people who are 4-0 can draw into Top8. 4-1-1 will also get into Top8. So I just need to win this round to get in!
Round 5: Matt Benjamin
I can't decipher my notes, but I lose the match. The lack of note-taking shows how my mindset is proceeding. At this point it's probably like 6 hours in and I'm beginning to lose my concentration. 3-2/7-5, 2 people tied for first, 5 people tied for 3rd, I'm tied for 8th with 8 other people.
OK, at this point, six people are guaranteed into Top8 by drawing in. The second-to-last spot will might get taken by the guy who gets paired down. If not, that spot and the last spot will be taken by whoever ends up 4-2 with the highest tiebreakers. I have the second highest tiebreakers of everyone in 3-2. And I get paired up with the guy with the highest tiebreakers. Basically, if I win this, I get into Top8.
Round 6: Kyle Pratt
Game 1 I can't stabilize the board due to mana problems. Game 2 I lock up the board but can't turn it around. I end up dying embarrassingly to a pinging Ledgewalker. 3-3/7-7, which puts me into 13th place.
Oh well. But obviously a much better ego booster than the PTQ. =)
Saturday, August 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment