Friday, September 08, 2006

First of all, the only reason why I'm posting this entry is that I'm sure that certain people don't read it.

I'm faced with a dilemma. My friends have advised me that there are two possible paths.
1) That I take the suffering like a man and suppress my urges to retaliate.
2) That I remove myself from any situation in which I may feel the need to retaliate.
I've (perhaps foolishly) come up with another alternative, not necessarily better.
3) That I confront the situation head on.

Since things turned out so horrendously after I ignored my friends' previous advice, let's take a close look at option number 3. Option 3 has the benefit that it seems like it's exactly what I need. But do I want it because it allows me to retaliate? Is retaliating bad? What kind of retaliating falls into the category of going too far?

Option 2 is not something that can go on forever. It'll be good to take a break for a couple weeks until some people get back from vacation. But it's only a holding action that's primarily designed to give me time to get into the right frame of mind to be able to handle option 1. But will it actually provide that, or will I be back with the same problem in two weeks time?

Option 1 has the advantage of allowing me to be able to have the most fun with the situation. Which would be great if I was OK with everything, but I'm not. So the fun is ruined because taking the beating is not fun at all. And there's a big question mark as to whether I'll be able to resist any urge to retaliate. The problem is that it feels like everything is a retaliation, no matter what I do right now. Basically, If I do option 1 now, it seems like every time something happens, I'd have to physically STOP, calm myself down, and mentally tell myself to "be in control, be cordial, don't be a child" Is that a healthy thing to have to constantly do?

You know what? I'm a huge pessimist. I don't think anything's going to change with the situation. I think I'm going to be right back here in 2 weeks with the exact same set of problems. I guess the right choice is to go with option 2 and very gently ease my way into option 1. This is not an either/or proposition, but a gradation. Trying to maintain a certain level of option 2 may also require just a teeny bit of option 3 as well. But a full blown option 3 should probably be held as a last resort.

It all sounds so masochistic. OK. Time to bury this post under pictures.

1 comment:

DDRKirby(ISQ) said...

Are you ever curious about me?
------------------------------
The only reason I'm posting this comment is because I'm sure that only you're going to read it.

I'm faced with a dilemma. Apparently there's two possible paths.
1) That we try our best to pick up the pieces and start from where things started to fall apart.
2) That I head my own way and don't look back.

I was operating under the assumption that option 1 wasn't an option. Apparently she says it is. The problem is that I don't think that it's possible. Partly because the fact that she erased herself from my life means that I've already started to move on. And partly because the fact that she would erase herself from my life, or even the fact that anything would happen in the first place, proves the fears I had in the first place.

The problem with option 2 is that it seems futile to go through life and break off a relationship every time something goes wrong. The only thing is, there's a reason something went wrong...

There's no right answer. But in the end, as Happy Bunny says, "It's all about me." I don't think either option is going to make her happy, because I don't think option 1 is really going to work. Even if I was capable of going back to the way things were, what's preventing the same thing from happening again?

Option 1 feels dangerous. It scares me the same way that she scared me from the beginning. Option 2 feels mean and terrible like I'm running away from the problem.

You know what? I'm a huge optimist. It doesn't matter how the situation changes--I'll be happy. But I still have to make a decision.

So I'll walk along on my own way.
Just like she walked away from me.
She wouldn't even let me thank her.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened...

--Timm[ie]