Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The next morning I bundled myself up and Michael dropped me off on campus to do some exploring. It was another sunny day and I kept myself warm by criss-crossing the grounds several times. I had picked out a few landmarks to go see, but apparently you can get to a lot of places quickly even on foot, so I got to see everything I wanted to and more...


Inside of The Rotunda, which is the main thing to see on the campus. Designed by Thomas Jefferson...he designed the bookshelves to be behind the pillars so that they would be more inconspicuous. The timestamp on the camera means that I took the pictures for the day with my Sony camera. That's because I left my new (dinged-up) Canon at Michael's place...whoops...=p


A picture of The Lawn. Outstanding senior students get the opportunity to live in one of these rooms. It was a little incongruous to see random college paraphenelia (lawn chair, door mats) outside of these rooms. Also, apparently, the rooms don't have bathrooms, and you have to go out in the cold to one of the communal bathrooms... (!)


A building across the street from The Rotunda (on the opposite side of The Lawn). I saw the big "Z" on the steps and was like...that must be one of the fraternities...


The front of The Rotunda. There was some ice at the base of the statue that I had fun sliding around on a little.


The on-campus (or on-grounds, I should say) church. It was deserted when I went inside (Thursday morning) but there was a woman talking on a cell. I wonder what she thought of me...


I wandered into an exhibit on Russian children's literature. Is it just me or is this an Axis & Allies map? The caption says: How the Capitalists are Armed. I think our generation doesn't understand any more what it was like to live during the Cold War. Just like the generation that follows us doesn't understand what it was like to live before the internet...


This is an actual letter written by John Adams, the 2nd president of the United States. My goodness, it looks like it was written by a 10-year old. (It's not because of quill pens, either. For comparison, see John Binns' handwriting below).


The other side of The Rotunda from across The Lawn. The students are trekking to and from class. Ahhhh, college life.


The opposite end of The Lawn from The Rotunda.


The same building as before. I think it's called the Old Cabell Hall. What was nice about the campus (the grounds) was that it really had a great sense of architecture throughout the whole school. All the buildings had the same feel and felt like they all "fit" together. Stanford, in comparison, has the Gates building across the street from Packard.


So as I was walking around campus (the grounds), I saw another building with a big Z on the steps. Apparently, this was all over the place. It was even on the steps leading up to The Rotunda, but I didn't notice because I didn't walk down the steps. I still have no idea why they put Zs everywhere.


A small, medieval gladiator ring! Or, where Cloud and Aeris watch the play in the Golden Saucer. =)


All the buildings looked great, except for this one. This is Felicity's Psych building (shared with the Biology department). Yeah, it's pretty ugly, especially in comparison to all the other buildings. Pearline's got it made....



OK guys, I dare you to play basketball on this court......


I was walking around next to the side of a building (getting lost, I might add...), when I noticed all this water dripping off the roof.


I was like....where is all this water coming from? Doesn't this building have a gutter system? So I look up and lo and behold, the water is coming from sheets of melting ice. Then I realized...that could be dangerous if a sheet of ice decides to come down...


Near as I can tell, the main entrance to campus (the grounds). This is next to The Corner, where a lot of the students go to eat/shop, etc... I went to check out a bagel place Michael recommended. I think the only reason why the bagel seemed better was that it was all toasty...yum...



If you thought basketball was bad, I wanna see Amy play soccer on this field!!


So I ran out of stuff to do and Michael wasn't done with classes yet. So I tried to find my way back to his place. Here is the road I came up, with the sidewalk moderately cleared...


Here is the road as it continued. It got worse...you can still see some sidewalk in this picture. When people cleared the driveways, they just piled up the snow without caring about the sidewalks at all. The big roll of snow in the foreground (and the one about next to the Marlboro sign) are almost waist high, and I had to basically climb over them. It had to have been some city dividing line or something, the difference was ridiculous.

I don't have any pictures, but in trying to get to Michael's apartment, there was this narrow road that went through a small tunnel underneath these railroad tracks. The road was not even wide enough to really fit two cars side by side in the tunnel, so I was really apprehensive about walking that route. But the only other way would be for me to take a looooong way around. I climbed up a small hill and briefly contemplated crossing the train tracks, but the way the land was, I'd have to walk on the train tracks for a bit, and then I had no idea how I'd get down the steep slope on the other side.

I eventually went for the narrow road and thankfully no cars went up or down the road while I was on it.....whew!